Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to a Crime-Fighting Angel!

Guess who just turned 60?


Cheryl Ladd is best remembered for her role as Kris Munroe in Charlie's Angels.  She joined the cast in 1977 to replace Farrah Fawcett who played Jill Munroe. 




To make the transition seemingly smooth, she played Jill's younger sister.   Fans of the show welcomed for the most part Kris Munroe as the "new" angel.



Hasbro's "new" angel that arrived in 1978. I wished that these 9" dolls were at least "Barbie" sized. 


"Angel Out of a Package" (contrary to an episode called "Angel in a Box")  The box had already been slightly opened.  I would not call Hasbro's Kris a startling resemblance to Ms. Ladd, but her face favors more of  her than Mattel's "Cheryl Ladd" doll.

Mattel's "Cheryl Ladd" doll (1978) of the "TV Super Star Women" series. 






 There was also a "Kate Jackson" version. Toy companies even then were quick to produce and cash in on the popularity of TV celebrities. 



Maybe it was her sweet charm, fresh vivacity, and girl-next-door's eye-catching beauty that won immediate approval from fans of the show and helped successfully overcome the challenges of a show's survival when a very popular original cast member leaves the show. Cheryl had a pair of very big and high shoes to fill. 




A pretty Lady in Red.  This picture looks totally late seventies disco glamour-ish.



Many years later and she still looks gorgeous!





Stylin' at last year's TV Land awards. She still has that spark!



Happy 60th birthday, Cheryl!
 

1 comment:

Angela said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe she is 60! My sister and I used to play Charlie's Angels as kids! My sister, being blonde, got be Farrah and I was always Sabrina!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my owl and kitty zip bag! I really appreciate that!
Angela